Seven things I’ve discovered this first week sheltering in place:
- Routine is a luxury.
- Respect the kitchen. Keep your distance.
- When I don’t have to go out in public, a pair of cotton undies always wins over a HankyPanky thong.
- My ever-youthful yoga teacher who in real life looks 40 somehow looks 50 on the Zoom screen.
- The value of solitude is in direct proportion to my being in the world and connected to people. Without that balance, solitude just slinks and oozes into boredom and loneliness.
- Our loud young neighbors send an email asking if we need help getting groceries. Sweet. We have officially become the Elderly Couple Next Door.
- I now can FaceTime-babysit a grandbaby 3000 miles away by making up new lyrics to “Baby Beluga.”
Thank you Kate, for your story! “Inside Our Time” digital series: