Join us for Desert Nights: A NEXT Community Event
Liberate yourself with Food, Drinks, Performance and more!
The Way Home
performing across Los Angeles June 2019!
And we are looking for your story…
Have your piece featured in this new theatre work being produced across Los Angeles, highlighting the voices of today’s generation!
We are looking for short stories, poems, songs and short plays inspired by the evolutionary journey of finding where we belong. Whether searching for community, embracing shelter, grappling with tradition or venturing into the unknown, home is personal and powerful to us all. Share with us your unique take — what does it mean, physically, emotionally, and/or spiritually, to find your way home?
When submitting material, consider the following parameters for your submission:
- Please check the themes of the season and submit accordingly. We will not accept late submissions this year. Thank you!
- Please make sure your name and title of your work appear on your submission.
- An element of Jewish resonance is important, but your submission does not need to feature being Jewish as the prominent theme or subject.
- Stories may be written by any gender, not just women.
- Short one-acts (10 minutes max) and monologues (7 minutes max) are preferred. Will read full-length, but unlikely will produce.
- 1500 words or less preferred
- Must be topical for the 21st century. While we consider plays set in another time period, we mostly select contemporary pieces.
- Small cast a must. One-person shows okay.
- Previously produced or published work is welcome. Please include production and/or publication history. A new version of a classic or an adaptation from another medium would definitely be of interest.
Although the primary focus of JWT is on the writing, music is often a part of our events. We encourage composers, song-writers, and performers to submit individual work. Musicals are welcome.
Email submissions by March 30th, 2019 to firstname.lastname@example.org
CREATE, COLLABORATE, CONNECT
NEXT has supported 19 paid fellowships who have engaged 238 emerging artists in creating new work. Here’s what Fellows have appreciated:
“NEXT is important for the arts because young artists need to see how art institutions are working and to understand where they came from to be able to move forward and create our own art more effectively.”
-Vicki, Council Member 2016-2018 and Digital Producer Consultant
“…I most appreciated that everyone got to have a voice in this group.”
-Devan, Council Member 2017-2018
“NEXT has informed me what’s really important about storytelling.”
-Chelsea, Council Member 2016-2017 and Actor in 2018
“I think trying to figure out your identity within your community and being able to incorporate art within that, it helps me to figure out who I am.”
-Daphna, Council Member 2016-2018 and now JWT Artistic Associate
“In the arts so often our peers are our competitors, here it was so refreshing they were my collaborators”
-Sarah, Council Member 2017-2018
Check out the video below to hear what audiences, writers, past and present Fellows, and contributing artists have to say about NEXT!
Have some questions?
Contact our NEXT Council Coordinator Andrew Fromer
This program is generously supported by a grant from the Los Angeles Department of Cultural Affairs and Y & S Nazerian Initiative, a program of The Jewish Federation of Greater Los Angeles. JWT also thanks the Jewish Community Foundation of Los Angeles, Erwin Rautenberg Foundation and Dennis Schuman Charitable Foundation for seed support.
Wondering what folks are feeling guilty about?