SUBMIT YOUR STORY
Themes for 2017 At-Home Salon Theatre Season
Evening 1: January 21- Feb 6
The Matzo Ball Diaries
This show reveals the delicious secret stories of food and home. Laugh and cry as we discover the power of food to nourish, heal or move us to action.
SUBMISSION DEADLINE: OCTOBER 15, 2016
Evening 2: March 18 – April 3
Exile: Kisses on both Cheeks
The Sephardic legacy of family, community, and country, looking for home more than 500 years after the expulsion from Spain is a Jewish immigrant story that is rarely told on stage. Until now.
SUBMISSION DEADLINE: NOVEMBER 15, 2016
Evening 3: May 6 – May 22
We all want more courage. This show explores stories of brave acts, small or large, that change lives and inspire us all. It also shares those moments when we just can’t seem to muster the courage to do the right thing.
SUBMISSION DEADLINE: DECEMBER 15, 2016
Okay, you’re Jewish, that’s a good start, but how “Jewish” do you have to write? When submitting material, consider the following parameters for your submission:
- Please check the themes of the season and submit accordingly. We will not accept late submissions this year. Thank you!
- An element of Jewish resonance is important, but your submission does not need to feature being Jewish as the prominent theme or subject.
- Feature women or a woman’s point of view, but not exclusively. Male characters are welcome.
- Short one-acts (10 minutes max) and monologues (7 minutes max) are preferred. Will read full-length, but unlikely will produce.
- 1500 words or less preferred
- Must be topical for the 21st century. While we consider plays set in another time period, we mostly select contemporary pieces.
- Small cast a must. One-person shows okay.
- Previously produced or published work is welcome. Please include production and/or publication history. A new version of a classic or an adaptation from another medium would definitely be of interest.
Although the primary focus of the JWT is on the writing, music is often a part of our events. We encourage composers, song-writers, and performers to submit individual work. Musicals are welcome.
Submit your material to firstname.lastname@example.org.